
I was talking to my brother today about the need we as humans have for closure - to say goodbye to loved ones before they depart this life. Well, many of us did not have that chance with grandpa as he passed away quickly this morning. In tribute, I would like to share a few of my thoughts and memories of the good man that he was. This is hardly eloquent or even close to a complete and adequate eulogy, just merely an attempt to grieve and share with loved ones with the hope that they too will remember him fondly.Grandpa was the kind of grandpa that tried to "be at the crossroads" which means a lot to grandkids. For a while we grew up in the same state that he lived, but not down the street. That didn't make important things less important. I can remember very well when we were baptized, he drove his little red truck out and attended the baptism and then we would pack into the cab or sometimes in the covered back of the truck and he would take us out for ice cream. It became a tradition that I remember anticipating when I was baptized. He remembered our birthdays faithfully and sent us cards and/or called us with well wishes. When we visited family in the same town, he would drop by to say hello and I can remember him picking us up and tossing us in the air with a big smile on his face. I thought even though his name was Charles he was Grandpa Charlie because it ended with an -ly like jolly. I don't remember Grandpa when he had hair, he was always bald and he was jolly, just what grandpas should be, right?
He came to other important events including weddings. Mine was in Nauvoo, Illinois. He and Grandma Donna drove all the way to Nauvoo to be there with the rest of our families. It was a sacrifice and it meant a lot. They visited our family a few times after we moved several hundred miles away because we hadn't seen them for a while. They served two missions for our church and were away for some of the important times, but they wanted us to know we were loved and they missed us. Their serving missions greatly inspired me to serve mine, and I had the joy of serving with hundreds of seniors like they were.
I was there the day Grandpa fell and quite honestly, as cliche as it sounds, it was one of the scariest days of my life. Mom, Dad, my husband, me and grandpa were at the new house working. Dad and grandpa were both on ladders. When he fell, time kind of stood still for all of us until we realized what happened and what we had to do. Dad and my husband immediately gave him a priesthood blessing for which we are all attributing to him surviving the fall. That is truly a healing and saving power. I had to use mom's cell phone to call 911 and though I was terrified, I felt calm and assured that everything would be okay. Eventually it was and it was an opportunity to spend more time with Grandpa and Grandma and I think it gave all of us a renewed appreciation for each other and life itself. As I have thought in the last several hours (after talking with dad yesterday) about grandpa's worsening condition, I have come to the conclusion that death and the sorrow that accompanies it come at inconvenient and often unforseeable times. But, the vision of an all-knowing Father in Heaven is perfectly clear and he prepares us for the life to come. If we are ready and willing to do all he asks, this glimpse of time we spend in mortal life will make us anxious to return there with Him.
If you actually read through this whole thing, I sure love you!!!!
7 comments:
Shan, I am so sorry about yourGrandpa. This was a great tribute to him. Isn't the gospel amazing that death is not so scary, and some times it is even a good thing when they are so much better off. We love you and our thoughts and prayers are with you. We hope you are okay. Love Linds
Shan, thank you for that. It was a great way to say goodbye to Grandpa. I think I took it for granted how often he was around for the important things in our lives. I don't remember as much as you do, but I do remember going for rides on Grandpa's motorcycle. How cool was that to have a grandpa who went to motorcycle rally's with white hair (at least on the sides). I often feel bad that I didn't really have much of a relationship with Grandpa Charlie and by the time I tried his brain had been too mixed up to connect with. I suppose regret but mostly respect for Grandpa Charlie was the greatest reason for me to give my son his name. If only he could have known him more.
Look at this book. I should have posted on my own blog, but your blog inspired it, so...
Thanks Grandpa Charlie. We love you and we'll see ya later. (There really never is goodbye is there?)
That is a great tribute! I'm happy you started a blog where you can post your thoughts and such. I'll be back to visit often.
We had a death close to home in our family this year, too, and isn't it a joy to be able to look back on someone's life and see that they left a joyful, jolly legacy. You are lucky to have had such a great grandfather!
You must love me because I read every word.
I am so sorry for your news. My grandma died last summer and I still miss her.
All you can do is keep their memory alive and that helps. I loved your stories. And, I think that this was a great start for your new blog.
And man, your grandpa was a hunk in his day!!!
...And I sure love you! How grateful you make me, that I have a daughter with a terrific memory AND a sensitive heart. Your tribute to Grandpa made me realize in ways I never had that he really was a good grandpa to you all, and that I am grateful to have known him as I did. Thank you, Shannie Lizzie, for taking time to put your thoughts down when the Spirit was inspiring you. Love you more, Yomama
thanks both benny and shan!
Ben i feel like you did, but i feel that way about all of my grandparents. of course that is what the after life is for, so all the more reason to live my life great so i can get to know them then.
I love you all!
♥mel
Post a Comment