Wednesday, May 20, 2009


I have been thinking a lot about discipline for children and what works and what doesn't. The behavior wheel idea (click on that link) sounds like it would be very effective.

I teach the six year olds at Church and sometimes I realize that I am focusing too much on the negative aspect of their behavior when we stop class to address an issue. So how do you reinforce the good things they are doing?

I wonder this several times a day with my own little boy who is learning to be so independent. He can do so many things on his own, but he also demands "do it myself" a lot when I am not sure I want to let him. I have to find him doing good things and reward that more often.

Parenting sure involves a lot of trial and error.

A great book that addresses the idea of accentuating the positive is "Whale Done, The Power of Positive Relationships" by Ken Blanchard. It's an easy read and gives a lot of food for thought.

You should check it out from the library and let me know what you think.

No comments: