Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Japan






Many people probably don't even know that I spent part of a summer in Japan or that I speak a little Japanese (a very tiny bit) from high school language classes. Maybe a couple of people know that I love Asian food and particularly sushi. And I also have a Japanese friend who lived with our family as an exchange student forever ago. Little things that add up to a strong interest in the little country in the ocean that's been torn apart.

I was in a bubble serving as a missionary when the twin towers were destroyed in 2011. I didn't really see pictures or footage of what happened. Maybe a handful of images. I still kind of feel in the dark about what really happened. I don't know if that's good or bad. So when the earthquake and tsunami hit Japan I've been kind of torn...do I want to see what it looks like? Do I want to know how bad it is? My husband has rattled off the numbers, how fast a tsunami travels, for instance. And to me and it seems impossible, not to mention heartwrenching. So many people. So much destruction. Life altered forever in seconds. My boys are too young to notice that much or care and I feel a little like I don't want them to know too much and worry. But, I am impressed with their faith. After I told my four year old about the earthquake he said, "Our house won't fall down. It's really really strong." (Yes, that's what they thought too. But I wasn't about to burst his bubble.)

But, there is so much good that comes out of bad. I am inspired by the stories of miracles here (see pic of cute little 4 month old here) and here. I am overwhelmed by the devastation   I cannot begin to imagine the emotions they must feel. The power of mother nature is unfathomable. Like I mentioned, I have never seen anything like it.
So while I was reading my scriptures last night, my Book of Mormon flipped open to this verse, "Yea, they shall not be beaten down by the storm at the last day; yea, neither shall they be harrowed up by the whirlwinds; but when the storm cometh they shall be gathered together in their place, that the storm cannot penetrate to them; yea, neither shall they be driven with fierce winds whithersoever the enemy listeth to carry them.
But behold, they are in the hands of the Lord of the harvest, and they are his; and he will raise them up at the last day."
Poignant, no?

Now it seems they are just praying for a tsunami of grace. 

No comments: