Tuesday, February 19, 2008

Sweet and Sour Chicken and Fried Rice



Here is a delectable recipe that we had for dinner tonight that is definitely worth sharing. This picture is essentially what it looks like, just take out the large peppers and onions, and add veggies to the rice and you'll have it. I got it from my mother-in-law who got it from her daughter who got it from...? It's relatively easy and uses basic ingredients, it just takes a little time to cook. It's worth it because it tastes like you ordered takeout from a great Chinese place, but really you made it yourself! Plus you know what went into it and how it was prepared. Try it and let me know if you like it.

Sweet and Sour Chicken

Cornstarch

4 boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-sized pieces

1 egg, beaten

Oil

Dip the chicken into the egg then roll in the cornstarch. In a small amount of oil, fry the chicken until lightly browned. Place the chicken in a shallow baking pan. Pour the sauce* over it, then bake it uncovered at 325 degrees for 1 hour, turning chicken every 15 minutes.

Sweet and Sour Sauce: 3/4 cup sugar, 4 Tbsp. ketchup, ½ cup vinegar, 1 Tbsp. soy sauce, ½ tsp. garlic powder.

Fried Rice

1 pkg. frozen mixed veggies, oil, egg (scrambled), white rice (cooked), onion, 2 tsp. soy sauce.

Thaw vegs., fry in a little bit of oil. Add scrambled egg. Cut up onion and sauté in veggies. Add rice and fry, adding oil as needed. Add soy sauce and serve.

A few, ahem, too many suggestions and preferences from a novice chef:

*Make sure you coat the chicken well with egg and plenty of cornstarch. That is what gives it the coated yummy texture at the end. The first time I made it I stirred all the chicken into the cornstarch all at once instead of coating a few pieces at a time (I rushed the process) and it just wasn't as good.
*You can cook the chicken, scramble the egg, and make the fried rice all in the same pan; easier clean up that way
*If you are making it with 4 chicken breasts I would suggest possibly doubling the sauce. I only used two large breasts tonight and it was just enough sauce for that. We do like it saucy, but it is better if the chicken is covered in sauce
*Make sure you really stir it every 15 minutes or so, just don't forget about it, that's the important part. Stirring it regularly coats the chicken evenly and gives it a good texture-set a timer if you're prone to forgetting i.e. have small children, are a master multitasker, the phone happens to ring, or whatever.
*The recipe is a little broad in terms of amounts, that gives you the freedom to make it how you like it. You just need enough cornstarch to coat the chicken, pour some in a bowl and then add as needed. You don't need to add water to the cornstarch this time, think of it like flour. That might be obvious to some people. I used the mixed veggies that has corn, carrots, peas, etc. tonight; use as many as you like, it's a good way to sneak in a lot of veggies. Try different rice: brown, calrose, long grain, it doesn't matter. I grew up eating fried rice (thanks Mom) and it's easy and I love it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Wow, that sounds so yummy! I am going to try it. Thanks for passing it along.