Photo courtesy of The Pioneer Woman CooksSo I'm a big cheater pants when it comes to making things because I am not only concerned with how something tastes, but also if it's healthy. Part of my psycho-ness has come from being pregnant and nursing twice. Everything that I take in becomes nourishment and life sustenance for another person.
So I found this recipe and I tweaked it. We had it for FHE treats on Monday. And my nice hubby said it was really good. Not that it wasn't sweet enough or that it was missing something. Just that it was really good. And my 2 year old inhaled his and half of mine. There are about 300 million copies of this recipe roaming around the internet; it's very popular. Why in the world does the recipe call for mountain dew? I think that would make it way too sweet. Since we never have that on hand anyway, it was time to improvise.
I'll just rattle off my changes and you can go ahead and make them however you would like. I used 8 crescent rolls, 1- 1 1/2 apples, just melted about 1/4 cup butter/smart balance, poured it over the wrapped apples, sprinkled just enough (about 1/4 cup total) cinnamon and sugar (ever heard of sucanat) to cover the tops of the rolls, and then cut up a fresh orange (and actually this was a tangerine, but who can really tell the difference when it's cooked), squeezed out the juice and then poured it into the bottom of the pan so the cinnamon and sugar would stay on top of the roll. A LOT less sugar and fat and I tell you they were still so super yummy. And we didn't have vanilla ice cream either. I love reading cookbooks and blogs that have the picture with the recipe. The picture just makes you want to make it more, and you know what it's supposed to look like, so that is why I included it!!! You really should try these...
Apple Dumplings
So I found this recipe and I tweaked it. We had it for FHE treats on Monday. And my nice hubby said it was really good. Not that it wasn't sweet enough or that it was missing something. Just that it was really good. And my 2 year old inhaled his and half of mine. There are about 300 million copies of this recipe roaming around the internet; it's very popular. Why in the world does the recipe call for mountain dew? I think that would make it way too sweet. Since we never have that on hand anyway, it was time to improvise.
I'll just rattle off my changes and you can go ahead and make them however you would like. I used 8 crescent rolls, 1- 1 1/2 apples, just melted about 1/4 cup butter/smart balance, poured it over the wrapped apples, sprinkled just enough (about 1/4 cup total) cinnamon and sugar (ever heard of sucanat) to cover the tops of the rolls, and then cut up a fresh orange (and actually this was a tangerine, but who can really tell the difference when it's cooked), squeezed out the juice and then poured it into the bottom of the pan so the cinnamon and sugar would stay on top of the roll. A LOT less sugar and fat and I tell you they were still so super yummy. And we didn't have vanilla ice cream either. I love reading cookbooks and blogs that have the picture with the recipe. The picture just makes you want to make it more, and you know what it's supposed to look like, so that is why I included it!!! You really should try these...
Apple Dumplings
2 Granny Smith apples
2 cans crescent rolls
2 sticks butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoons vanilla
cinnamon
1 small can Mountain Dew
Peel and core apples. Cut apples into 8 slices each. Roll each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in a 9 x 13 buttered pan. Melt butter, then add sugar and barely stir. Add vanilla, stir, and pour over apples. Pour Mountain Dew around the edges of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon and bake at 350 degrees for 40 minutes. Serve with ice cream, and spoon some of the sweet sauces from the pan over the top.
No comments:
Post a Comment