One of my main reasons for doing this is to keep track. In case my cookbooks and other files stored on the hard drive for some reason go up in smoke, heaven forbid, then if I have internet access I can use these tried and trues, ones I know we like. And if there is something I find that I want to try or that I think someone else should try, I can save it for later or post it. I will really try to have a picture (i.e. use someone else's photography skills) and I'll put any changes I made to the side in italics, so I will remember how we ate it if we liked it with the alterations. Otherwise I'll try to stay true to the recipe I find.
And since this won't be strictly a food blog, per se, I'll still throw in other things I feel so inclined to post. Things relevant to me and mostly my boys (3) will be on the other blog.
Here's a test post. I'll see if anyone actually tries these or looks and runs away screaming.
Shrimp Enchiladas.
Don't let them scare you. They are really good. My two year old loved them, but that's not saying much. He loves shrimp. He also loves seaweed. And peppers. And anything else good for you. He's great.
Just try them.
Shrimp Enchiladas
from My Kitchen Cafe

1/2 cup sweet red pepper, chopped
1/2 cup onion, minced
1/2 cup green pepper, chopped
1/4 cup butter
1/2 teaspoon oregano
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
3/4 cup whipping cream (evaporated milk)
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
3 cups Monterey Jack cheese, divided (you can use half pepper-jack cheese for great results)
1/2 cup sour cream (plain yogurt)
2 tablespoons butter
1 1/2 pounds shrimp, peeled and deveined
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cups ripe tomatoes, chopped (1 can tomatoes, drained)
8 (9-inch) flour tortillas
Saute red pepper, onion and green pepper in 1/4 cup butter until crisp-tender. Add oregano, salt, garlic powder, pepper, cayenne pepper, cream and flour; blend well. Continue cooking for 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Add 1 1/2 cups cheese; stir until melted. Add sour cream, stir to blend. Set aside.
In another skillet, melt 2 tablespoons butter. Saute shrimp and 1/2 cup onion until shrimp are pink. Remove shrimp and chop; return to butter and onion. Add chopped tomatoes and 1/2 of the cheese sauce. Spoon 1/3 cup shrimp mixture into each tortilla. Sprinkle cheese on top of shrimp mixture. Roll up tightly. Arrange seam side down in a 9X13-inch glass baking dish. Spoon remaining cheese sauce over tortillas and sprinkle with remaining cheese.
Bake at 350 degrees for 30 to 35 minutes.
2 comments:
i like this idea! that way, whenever i think, 'Mmmm, what should i make for dinner tonight?' i can just pull up your blog and check out what's new!!! yeah! i'm excited to see what recipes you'll put on.
my boys (all of them) LOVE shrimp, i am going to have to try this one!
question: do you substitute certain ingredients to make it healthier?
It fits you, Shan, and I'm glad you're not giving up YOUR space. I will be trying the shrimp enchiladas too - after Bemarlyles leave, because Ems does not like seafood. We all have preferences, right? Yay for Xander and his broad tastes at such a young age!
I love you, you creative wonder!
Yomama
Post a Comment