Tuesday, December 8, 2009

Christmas Songs Top Ten

One of the best things about this time of year is the music. Hands down. I. LOVE. CHRISTMAS. MUSIC. So choosing favorites can be very hard for me. I decided to give it a shot and see what I came up with.  Here are my top ten several in no particular order:

 Where Are you Christmas - Faith Hill
I have always been a fan of Faith, but I think this song is truly one of her best performances and it has such a sweet message. 


O Holy Night- Josh Groban  and Celine Dion
 I love this song no matter who sings it, but these versions almost makes me cry all the time. Both singers have so much power and feeling in their voices. Go here to find a new rendition. 
 
Nelle Fantasia (Gabriel's Oboe) - Celtic Woman or instrumental
All of the women who comprise Celtic Woman have gorgeous voices and I really covet the voice on this one. Angelic! And who knew the oboe could steal the show?

 The Magic of Christmas Day (God Bless Us Everyone)- CelineDion
In my humble opinion, Celine is in a league of her own. This song is also sung by Andrea Bocelli (another fave) on the end of the Jim Carrey Christmas Carol. (Have you seen it yet?)

 Still Still Still - Mannheim Steamroller
 Is there anything by Mannheim Steamroller that isn't worthy of being top ten listed? This song is sublime.

 Believe - Josh Groban
 I love the song that goes with the movie, The Polar Express, and the magic that we find on Christmas Day.

Breath of Heaven - Amy Grant
I loved this song the first time I heard it as a teenager. I grew up listening to all things Amy Grant at Christmas and I still love her voice. Since having children of my own, this song has taken on new meaning for me and I feel so much for Mary and her burden as a mother, albeit her role as mother of the Son of God is one not to be taken lightly.

White Christmas - Bing Crosby
A classic. Maybe deserves to be on a different list among other more classic Christmas Carols, but I love the song, love the movie, love the voice.

The Christmas Song - Nat King Cole 
He is in good company with Bing. This is another classic that I love. The song says so much and his voice is calming and so rich.

 In The Bleak Mid-Winter - Sissel - I really like the lyrics of this one. I can't say I am really familiar with the tune or the song itself, but it's a newly discovered favorite.


*Bonus* Since I had a hard time limiting it to10 songs, I threw in a version of  I'll Be Home For Christmas by Rascal Flatts that is refreshingly simple and Christmas Eve in Sarajevo  by Trans Siberian Orchestra. There is something about TSO that is so entertaining and evokes so much energy. Have you seen this (a few hundred times probably?)

So what are your Top Christmas songs?

No comments: