Friday, February 22, 2008

You really should try this!

I saw this recipe for ADDICTIVE SWEET POTATO AND BEAN BURRITOS a couple of weeks ago on Vanessa's blog and her raving convinced me that I wanted some of the yumiliciousness. I have to admit it does sound unusual, but meatless main dishes can be very fulfilling and at our house we all love sweet potatoes or yams or whatever you call them. I have just one alteration in the way I cooked it. I added the spices to the onion and garlic and sauteed a little bit before I added the beans to bring out the flavors, but the rest was the same.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 onion, chopped
4 cloves garlic, minced
6 cups cooked black beans (original recipe says kidney, but black is so good)
2 cups water
3 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
4 teaspoons prepared mustard
1 pinch cayenne pepper, or to taste
3 tablespoons soy sauce (I love Kikkoman)

4 cups cooked and mashed sweet potatoes (I just microwaved the whole potatoes, cooled them and scraped out the insides, they can be tough to peel and you lose more nutrients!)
12 whole wheat tortillas
1 cup shredded cheese (I used cheddar and colby, use whatever you have)


Saute onion and garlic in oil. Add beans and water (to desired consistency) and heat until warm. Take off burner and add spices, mustard, cayenne, and soy sauce.

Assemble burrito: On warmed tortilla put a thin layer of yams, a dollop of beans, a coating of cheese. Wrap and garnish with salsa and sour cream/plain yogurt.

3 comments:

Alisa F. said...

Sounds yummy. Too bad my husband HATES sweet potatoes.

Unknown said...

Looks yummy..I think I will try it. No one in the South can resist sweet potatoes!

Especially on a TOR TILL U!:)

NessaAnn said...

Wow, I am so honored to be quoted in your blog! Wahoo! I feel famous!