Recently I attended a class on growing your own herbs. We planted some and then I promptly left on vacation and they died. But, I learned some valuable skills and feel the motivation that comes with learning new things. It's similar to growing your own garden, but on a much smaller scale, I'm sure. After reading this article and thinking about what was said in the class, I realized that we really don't need to be eating that much meat.
“And again, verily I say unto you, all wholesome herbs God hath ordained for the constitution, nature, and use of man—
“Every herb in the season thereof, and every fruit in the season thereof; all these to be used with prudence and thanksgiving.
“Yea, flesh also of beasts and of the fowls of the air, I, the Lord, have ordained for the use of man with thanksgiving; nevertheless they are to be used sparingly;
“And it is pleasing unto me that they should not be used, only in times of winter, or of cold, or famine.
“All grain is ordained for the use of man and of beasts, to be the staff of life, …
“All grain is good for the food of man; as also the fruit of the vine; …
“Nevertheless, wheat for man” (D&C 89:10–14, 16–17).
And when my husband suggested we cut back, I knew it was really time to change some things around. So our menu for the week has been kind of different. Some meals have been much better than others, but I'll send you the recipes if you want them. Just comment or email me and they are all yours. So we've had or it's in the plans to have Carribean Shrimp, Sushi Bowl, Bean Salad Wraps, Crab Salad in Pitas, Lentil and Rice Casserole, Chicken Pot Pie, Mushroom Rigatoni, Gourmet Fried Rice, Mexican Frittatas, etc. I think the Sushi Bowl (see picture) has been our favorite so far. Though the recipes sometimes need modifying, that's half the fun, and they still turn out yummy or at least it's something new and different.
9 comments:
Ooh, can I have the recipe for the crab salad? J/k, remember who this is. I think I would rather eat my hand. :) Can I have the recipe for Bean wraps though? Those do sound good. I would be curious also to know if you have to spend a lot more to get some of these ingredients. Very healthy sounding menu though.
I'd love to try any of those things. If you have a chance to send any my way, we'd appreciate it. I agree that it's better to focus meals around other ingred. instead of the meat. We still eat it many days of the week, but it's usually just a component of the meal, not the main dish. Thanks for the ideas; we'll have to compare notes on the little herb gardens since that's on my do to soon list too. (We have to wait for better weather--whereas yours might be at it's best right now!)
Shan,
Darren here. I'm being redundant. I love the ideas. When we are fixing food, we ask the question "What should we have?" and the answer isn't Chicken, Beef, or Pork, we usually say noodles, potatoes, bread, or rice. Then that becomes the center of the meal. If we choose to put meat with it, which we often do, we cut it into small pieces rather than big chunks, both so kids can eat it, but also so it's not the main food. I don't know when we started this, but Em probably influenced me for good! We have lots of beans. Yummy!
I'd love all of those recipes if you wouldn't mind sending them on. Also if you have any nutrition info (like carb count) for the diabetic in our family that would be helpful. Even if you don't though, I'd still like the recipe I love trying new things.
Way to go you gourmet chef! That is really impressive! And I am soo sorry I totally missed calling on your birthday! I did remember, but I forgot to call, so happy birthday We love ya!
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!! :)
he he.
And also, I would like any/all of the recipes, if you would be willing to send them. I have the same question as AJ - does it cost a lot more to cook that way? I mean, we eat a LOT of not so healthy food, mostly because we can afford it and it's easy to make - I can't wait to have more time to focus on what I cook...sigh...
heya!! you're so nice to share!! :) I'm always game for new recipes. Great idea!
My boys who have gone vegetarian are the healthiest people I know. We have had some health concerns and are finding that meat is sooo much less important that we thought, and grain and vegetables so much more important. Also as Emmi mentioned, white is bad!!! (as in refined white sugar, flour, rice etc.)
Wow. That's all I have to say right now. I'll get the recipes when I'm ready to add them to my menu. I was impressed with your menu, though, as well as all the people who want to eat healthier. Yay to all of you! Herbs -thus flavors- really do make the difference.
Love you more than a perfect summer meal, Yomama
Post a Comment